Of all the raw dessert I’ve made this is definitely one of my favourites! It tastes so naughty and delicious, but is free from refined sugar, gluten and dairy and won’t leave you feeling bloated or sluggish after eating one (or two, or three). The crunchy nuts, sweetness from the dates and dark chocolate make for a mouthful of heaven! Definitely a must make.
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1 cup roughly chopped almonds
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 12 dates
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 – 2 tablespoon water (as needed)
- you can either combine around 150g dark chocolate (70% cacao or higher) with 2 tablespoons coconut oil and melt over some boiling water OR
- combine equal parts of melted coconut oil and cacao and add a few tablespoons of 100% pure maple syrup
1. I’ve made these twice, the first time I just formed them into rectangles and placed on some baking paper. The second time I lined a loaf tin and pressed the mix into it – I found this was easier but chose whichever option you prefer. Combine all base ingredients in a bowl, stir together with a spoon and form into little rectangles or press into loaf tin, place in the freezer.
2. Combine caramel layer ingredients into a food processor and combine until smooth. Smooth it over the base. Allow to rest in the freezer for a few hours / overnight.
3. Combine chocolate topping in a shallow bowl. If you used the loaf tray, line a square tray, cut your rectangles, dip the raw snickers in the chocolate mix and cover all over. Place back on lined square tray and put in the freezer to set for a few hours.